What are the disadvantages of rubber wood furniture? Rubberwood was introduced to the Western world in 1874 when it caught the attention of rubber plantation owners.
The rubber tree Hevea Brasiliense’s would often yield an additional high-value product after latex collection. This high-value product is known as rubberwood.
By processing rubber trees, rubber plantations increased rubber production with minimal costs, making rubber a lucrative cash crop.
As rubberwood became more well-known, many turners began using rubberwood for turning projects that required warm finishes and precise grain characteristics.
What Are the Disadvantages of Rubber Wood Furniture?
1. Rubberwood furniture is very susceptible to termites. Even a tiny termite attack can cause rubberwood furniture to break or fall apart quickly.
2. Just like other pine trees, rubberwood does not come from young rubber trees; rubberwood comes from rubber trees aged between ten to fifteen years old since rubber pickers do not climb the very tall rubber trees to get rubberwood.
3. The rubberwood furniture color tends to fade over time, and the rubberwood becomes brittle and breakable.
4. Rubberwood furniture is not as sturdy as mahogany wooden furniture or even teakwood furniture.
5. Rubberwood, like any other type of tropical hardwoods, is not as durable as those from temperate areas such as oak and maple trees which can stay strong for decades, even centuries, if properly maintained and cared for.
6. Rubberwood furniture scratches easily and requires regular refinishing to keep its radiant new look and colour, which can be a tedious task that will need you to hire a professional carpenter every once in a while.
To refinish your rubberwood furniture, especially if you do not own an upright piano rubber wood floor cleaner. This may increase the cost of rubberwood home office furniture at first.
But over time will save you money since rubberwood furniture does not serve as a good investment for the future because rubberwood deteriorates quickly and become worn out with time.
7. Rubberwood is known to be an environmentally sustainable hardwood. Still, rubber trees take about 15 years before they can be tapped for latex or rubber, making rubberwood furniture production non-sustainable since rubber tree harvesting goes hand in hand with deforestation.
8. Rubberwood Furniture splinters easily; hence, it requires careful handling during installation to minimize accidents resulting in injury caused by the wooden splinters that were once part of your rubberwood furniture.
Moreover, it will not withstand heavy weight being placed on them, especially when installed below shower areas or water basins used for washing, bathing and other wet related activities inside homes, mainly wooden home offices furniture.
11. Rubberwood does not have excellent resistance against water and cannot be used outdoors. This is because once you pour water on a rubberwood surfac.
It tends to absorb the water, which may cause warping and cracking of your hardwood floors.
Famous Types of Rubber Wood
African rubberwood is known to be one of the most durable and stronger rubber trees in South Africa. It can easily reach up to 20 meters, and older rubber wood trees are the best rubber tree for rubberwood furniture.
The highest concentration of rubberwood is found in Cambodia, so it is no surprise that Cambodian rubberwood is known to have a very high density.
If you are looking for rubberwood furniture with excellent resistance against termite’s rubber wood floor cleaner, Cambodian rubberwood is a perfect choice.
The rubber tree is native to Malaysia, and thus, Malaysian rubberwood is considered the best rubberwood furniture in Malaysia. It has also been known for several decades as it is used as commercial plywood rubberwood furniture.
Myanmar rubberwood is one of the most durable rubber trees in Asia, used for rubberwood furniture making since the early ages of rubberwood floor cleaners.
It is also solid with excellent resistance against termites, water and sun exposure rubber wood flooring.
South American Rubber Birch
This rubber tree is native to South America and has several names, with it also known as rubberwood rubber tree rubber wood flooring.
One of its most famous names in Brazilian rubberwood, used for rubberwood furniture making in Brazil, Venezuela, Columbia etc.
US Rubberwood Trees
US rubberwood is the rubber tree with excellent resistance against water, making it one of the most durable rubberwood flooring. This rubber tree also has several names.
Some call it Brazilian rubber but most commonly called South American rubber birch, used for rubberwood furniture in Brazil, Venezuela and Columbia rubberwood desk.
What are the disadvantages of rubber wood furniture. If you are looking for more affordable furniture, then rubberwood is not the best option. It has many disadvantages that make it not worth your time or money.
This doesn’t mean there isn’t any room for rubberwood – but if these cons were considered when making a purchase decision, buying an entirely new set might have been better suited to their needs instead!